Of all the recording equipment available, the Zoom H4n is regarded as the gold standard when it comes to producing high-quality sound. It has become a firm favorite among audio aficionados all over the world.
One of the best things about the Zoom H4n is that it’s also compatible with a range of lavalier microphones. This compatibility allows you to get excellent quality sound while gaining the freedom of movement that the H4n’s built-in microphones can’t provide.
As with all technologies, there can be confusion around which lav mics are compatible with a Zoom H4n, though. And even when you’ve figured that out, you can still be left wondering whether or not you’ve chosen the right one.
Don’t panic! We’ve done the hard work for you. We’ve compiled a list of the best lav mics for a Zoom H4n, each of which will give you excellent quality sound and take your recording experience to the next level.
We’ve also put together a buying guide filled with tips on what to look for when making your purchase, to help you get the right lavalier microphone the first time around.
Grab a seat, relax, and let’s start with our top pick.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 1. Purple Panda Lavalier Microphone Kit
- 0.2 2. Movo LV4 XLR Lavalier Microphone Kit
- 0.3 3. MAONO XLR Lavalier Microphone
- 0.4 4. Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphone
- 0.5 5. Comica CVM-V02O XLR Lavalier Microphone
- 1 Lav Mic for Zoom H4n – Buyer’s Guide
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
1. Purple Panda Lavalier Microphone Kit
Delivering everything you need to record with a Zoom H4n, the Lavalier Microphone Kit from Purple Panda is perfect for podcasting, vlogging, hosting radio interviews, and more.
The microphone comes with a generous 4.9ft cable, which allows for a variety of placements without being restrictive. It also has omnidirectional recording capabilities that pick up sound from a 360º arc, enhancing vocals and drowning out background noise.
Lightweight and durable, you’ll feel as though you’re not even wearing a mic as you record, and it’s compatible with multiple devices thanks to a universal 3.5mm stereo jack.
The kit includes a mini USB adapter and a TRS (2-ring) adapter that increases the variety of recording devices with which you can use it even more. Add a 3m extension cable, a fuzzy windscreen, an extra clip, and access to an eBook for those making films, and it’s the full package, in a handy drawstring pouch.
- A microphone kit that comes with everything you need for recording podcasts, vlogging and more
- A 4.9ft cable offers more freedom over placement without feeling restrictive
- Omnidirectional recording capabilities take the stress out of placement and sound quality
- Compatible with Zoom H4n and a variety of other recording equipment, and includes a range of accessories that enhance your recording experience
- The included fuzzy windscreen makes the microphone a lot more noticeable when recording outside. However, this isn’t an issue if you’re only recording audio.
2. Movo LV4 XLR Lavalier Microphone Kit
Movo designed the LV4 XLR Lavalier Microphone Kit to give you a variety of recording options without needing to buy separate equipment. It gives you one omnidirectional mic and one cardioid mic together in the same package.
Compatible with Zoom H4n as well as a variety of other recording devices, the omnidirectional microphone picks up sound from all directions. The cardioid mic, by contrast, concentrates more on a 180º curve from the front and is less responsive to sounds from the back. That gives you the ability to find the perfect recording quality for the task at hand and takes the guesswork out of placement.
The 3-pin XLR connector ensures a stable connection between the microphone and your recording equipment. That provides balanced audio and reduces feedback, and the 6ft cables allow for freedom of movement. Complete with a 1-year warranty, this set of microphones has all your recording needs covered.
- A set of two microphones (one omnidirectional and one cardioid) that broadens your recording capabilities
- The omnidirectional microphone picks up sound from a 360º angle and takes the worry out of finding the perfect placement
- The cardioid microphone focuses on a 180º curve directly in front of it while blocking out ambient noise
- Compatible with Zoom H4n and many other recording devices, and built with a 3-pin XLR connector for an extra secure connection
- Doesn’t include any additional accessories such as extension cables or windscreens
3. MAONO XLR Lavalier Microphone
Compact, lightweight, and discreet, the XLR Lavalier Microphone from MAONO is the perfect choice for recording podcasts, videos, and more. With its 3-pin XLR connector, not only is it compatible with Zoom H4n, but it can also work with a variety of other sound recording devices.
Designed to work omnidirectionally, recording sound in a 360º arc, this lavalier mic is guaranteed to give you clear sound quality and enhanced vocal pickup while reducing background noise. It will also securely hold wherever you place it thanks to the sturdy miniature metal clip.
No batteries are required to get this microphone running either; it operates merely using the power provided by your device. The 6ft cable offers more flexibility when it comes to finding the perfect placement. Alongside the microphone, you’ll also receive a foam windscreen and a furry windscreen that are ideal for recording outdoors, and a 12-month warranty.
- Compatible with Zoom H4n, as well as various other recording equipment thanks to the 3-pin XLR connector
- An omnidirectional microphone that picks up clear sound and enhanced vocals while identifying and drawing out ambient background noise
- Requires no batteries to operate, and simply runs off the power being provided by your recording device
- Has a generous 6ft cable and includes two windscreens and a 12-month warranty
- Although the 6ft cable offers a decent amount of flexibility for placement, it is slightly shorter than some others available
4. Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphone
The SM93 Lavalier Microphone from Shure is capable of recording high-quality sound despite its compact size, and the variety of mounting hardware and accessories included gives you ultimate placement flexibility.
This omnidirectional microphone is ideal for recording vocals and has a full, 360º dynamic range that picks up clear sounds while drowning out ambient noise. It also features a controlled low-frequency roll-off that helps to distort any noise interference that may occur when pinned to clothing.
Fully compatible with the Zoom H4n, it runs off phantom power and requires no batteries to function, while the 3-pin XLR connector lets you use it with other recording devices. Alongside the tie clip and sew-in bracket, you’ll also find an acoustic windscreen that is ideal for controlling sound quality when recording outdoors.
- Super compact yet sacrifices nothing in terms of sound recording quality
- The 3-pin XLR connectors make it compatible with Zoom H4n and a variety of other recording devices
- Omnidirectional recording enhances vocals while reducing background noise
- Low-frequency roll-off reduces noise interference coming from clothing
- Includes a variety of mounting hardware including a tie-clip and sew-in bracket
- Comes with an acoustic windscreen for outdoor recording
- The cable length is only 4ft, which could potentially make it feel slightly restrictive during use
5. Comica CVM-V02O XLR Lavalier Microphone
This pack of 2x CVM-V02O XLR Lavalier Microphones from Comica is ideal for any podcaster or vlogger that has multiple guests on their show at once. The microphones use omnidirectional recording and a flat frequency response to pick up clear vocals regardless of their placement while reducing background noise.
Specially designed for use with Zoom H4n and other Zoom sound recording equipment, it requires no batteries to function and simply uses phantom power provided by your device.
Included metal clips ensure that the microphone stays securely in place during recording, and each mic comes with a fuzzy windscreen that delivers the best quality sound when recording outside. Generous 5.9ft silicone cables prevent you from feeling restricted during use, and they are also fully adjustable to allow you to find the most comfortable fit.
- A pack of two microphones that are ideal for hosting multiple guests at once
- Omnidirectional recording and a flat frequency response delivers clear vocals while reducing background noise
- Specially designed for use with Zoom H4n
- Uses 48v phantom power to function, meaning there’s no need for a battery stash
- 5.9ft cables give you placement flexibility
- Included clips and windscreens ensure secure placement and good sound quality when recording outdoors
- Since these microphones are specially designed for use with Zoom recorders and camcorders, they may not be suitable for use with other recording devices
Lav Mic for Zoom H4n – Buyer’s Guide
A lavalier microphone will change the way you record forever, and once you’ve experienced the freedom of pairing one with a Zoom H4n, you’ll wonder how you ever managed before.
You do need to do a little bit of research before settling on which
First, you need to make sure that the
As a general rule of thumb, any microphone that features a 3-pin XLR connector will be compatible with a range of Zoom sound recorders as they use the same connection type.
As well as Zoom H4n, it’s worth looking at what other recording devices your chosen microphone is compatible with, especially if you like to change between recording equipment regularly.
Some microphones come with included adapters that allow you to plug into a variety of different recording devices. This is a great way to save yourself some money since you won’t need to buy multiple microphones to work with various equipment.
You’ll notice that two types of microphones can be used with a Zoom H4n, omnidirectional microphones, and cardioid microphones. Each provides something different in sound recording quality, so it’s essential to make sure you choose the right type of microphone for your needs.
Omnidirectional microphones record sound in a 360º arc, so they’re the best choice for a studio recording with multiple guests, where sound will be coming from all directions. They can enhance vocal sound by recording with a flat frequency response, which is ideal for podcasting or interviewing and can reduce the amount of ambient noise that’s picked up.
Cardioid microphones work in a 180º arc and focus more on the sound coming from directly in front of them while blocking out any noise coming from behind the microphone. The noise-blocking makes them an excellent choice for outdoor recording, where you want to avoid as much ambient noise as possible and concentrate more on vocals.
Some microphones come as a pack that includes both a cardioid microphone and an omnidirectional microphone. It is a great money-saving choice for anybody that records in multiple situations and environments.
It’s also a good idea to think about the number of lav mics you need. For instance, if you’re the host of a podcast that has a panel of guests each week, you’ll need more than one of the same brand of microphones to get consistent sound quality throughout the recording.
The next thing to consider is the cable length of your lavalier microphone. Too short and it can feel restrictive, too long, and you’ll have an excess of cable that could pose a danger to the person wearing it.
Most lav mics come with cables ranging between 4ft to 6ft, and this is generally a good length, allowing a comfortable fit without restricting your flexibility of placement.
If you do require a longer cable, some microphone kits include an extension cable that lets you lengthen the space between the microphone and your Zoom H4n. An extension cable is ideal for larger studio setups as well as for outdoor recording, where you may need that extra bit of space.
The nature of a lavalier microphone means that it needs to be on the body during recording, so it’s essential to look at what mounting accessories are included.
Metal clips that simply grip onto clothing are the most common method of mounting a
One of these is a sew-in bracket, which can literally be sewn onto a garment and then have the microphone clipped into it. Sew-in brackets are an excellent choice for theatre, where the actor is going to be wearing the same costume for each performance. It saves you from having to find the perfect placement each time.
Most microphones that are compatible with a Zoom H4n won’t require any batteries but will use phantom power to function. Your recording device itself provides phantom power.
This is an outstanding feature, as you won’t have to worry about keeping a steady supply of batteries to hand and instead can simply plug in your microphone and go!
As with all technology, it’s worth seeing what else you can get for your money in the way of included accessories. Some microphones come with handy extras that can enhance the recording experience.
Windscreens are one of the best extra accessories to look out for and will allow you to record outdoors without wind noise affecting the quality of the sound. These come in either ‘fuzzy’ or ‘foam’ forms, and both are great for keeping your recording quality high.
You can also find entire microphone kits that include a variety of accessories, including windscreens, additional mounting hardware, extension cables, and adapters. These are always an excellent choice to go for as they’ll cover you in every eventuality and will help save you time and money in the long run.
Finally, it’s essential to look at the warranty your microphone includes. A good mic for Zoom H4n can be an expensive investment, so the longer you’re covered for repair or replacement, the better.
The standard warranty tends to be around 12 months. However, there is usually an offer to extend this once you’ve activated it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between an omnidirectional microphone and a cardioid microphone?
An omnidirectional microphone works across a 360º arc and can pick up sounds coming from all directions. A cardioid microphone works across a 180º arc and focuses more on sounds coming from directly in front of it. Both of these microphone types can reduce background noise and enhance sound quality.