Being a young adult is tough – it’s that time when everything feels unfamiliar, it’s difficult to get a hold of things, and you’re struggling to find your own direction. You may find that some distraction, laughs, and advice from people who have been where you are can go a long way in helping you take comfort in your situation.
The work has been done for you in this list, with ideas ranging from a podcast that teaches you how to do everything you could think of to inspirational advice that can get you through difficult times.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Podcasts For Young Adults
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
Best Podcasts For Young Adults
Dear Hank And John
Dear Hank And John is a life advice column (except better) with the two older brothers you never had.
Hear young adult novelist John Green and his brother Hank dish out hearty life advice as they answer pertinent questions from listeners, ranging from how to combat loneliness to whether lobsters feel pain. Everything under the sun is up for a tackle with their unique brand of humor, and no question is simply too small or trivial. Listening to their lighthearted back-and-forth definitely makes you feel like you are in on their jokes.
With one listener suggesting it is the “audio version of comfort food,” this is one podcast that instantly uplifts your spirits and that you find yourself coming back to time and time again.
Almost 30 by Krista Williams and Lindsey Sincik is inspired by their personal transitions from their 20s to the big 30 but has since grown into a podcast about levelling up all aspects of your life.
Williams and Sincik understand that it can get messy sometimes as you’re going through some major life transitions, be it graduation, a career change, or leaving a relationship. They aren’t afraid to get real and raw in their episodes, which touch on body acceptance, authenticity, spirituality, career advice, health and wellness, and financial freedom.
Listeners attest to the spirit of community that this podcast has created and the power of this safe space for self-healing and personal growth.
With over 300 episodes, this podcast is the perfect companion for your daily commute, in the shower, on a run, or at home. It keeps you company as you take on life’s trials and tribulations, empowering you to become a better version of yourself.
What’s Good Games
Andrea Rene, Brittney Brombacher, and Kristine Steimer have worked in some of the video game industry’s biggest names, and now they have come together to bring listeners all they need to know about the gaming world’s latest updates.
With episodes that go up to two hours long, avid gamers can appreciate the depth of coverage and their content’s informativeness. Besides bringing you news on the latest happenings and answering listeners’ questions, there’s even a ‘what we played’ section of the show where the hosts share their impressions of upcoming titles and releases.
The three hosts are a breath of fresh air in an industry where things inevitably get heated sometimes. Past experience moderating gaming forums has made the three hosts staunch in their commitment to creating a positive space for their community. With good-natured humor and camaraderie, they bring a touch of levity that rubs off on even the most opinionated members.
Their seasoned experience and expertise make this podcast your go-to source of information for everything gaming, from broader changes in the industry down to specific details.
How To Do Everything
Ian Chillag and Mike Danforth are young at heart, and it is their natural adolescence that resonates with you instantly. In addition to their goofy personalities, the contents of the show are also a big hit among younger listeners. Indeed, it is hard to find a more fitting title for the show’s contents, as the hosts find solutions for the most ludicrous of situations.
While the hosts do get questions from older listeners, the show has attracted a far more substantial following among young adults – more than half who tune in are under age 35. Chillag and Danforth receive regular junior high or high school-related questions from enthusiastic young adults and have become somewhat of a hilarious stand-in for parents. Whether you are figuring out how to take a good photograph of your cat, get out of a ski lift, or chase away a scrub jay who keeps waking you up, the advice is always entertaining.
You are bound to be in for a nice surprise each time you tune in, as the two hosts never run out of interesting material. It is a good time all around, with occasionally helpful tips you can apply in your own life.
You can listen here.
The Mortified Podcast
Spawning a Netflix documentary and two books, ‘The Mortified Podcast is a walk down memory lane as adults get up on stage and revisit memories from their younger days to an audience of laughing teenagers. Material on the show that is revisited is of all sorts – poems, diaries, love letters, and even self-penned scripts and plays.
The results are often honest, heart-warming, and wildly hilarious. In revealing their reasons for taking part, these adult volunteers say that participating in the show has given them the opportunity to accept their childhood and discover just how much they’ve changed through the years.
This show offers an uplifting message – that everyone survives those awkward years and can start young adults on the radical journey of self-acceptance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the 10 most popular podcasts?
- Serial – The most popular podcast is Serial, which is an award-winning podcast that combines investigative journalism with a storytelling element to tell a story.
- This American Life – Another popular podcast is This American Life, and over one million people show up to download each episode.
- Dr. Death – This has been created by Laura Beil and is a story that surrounds a neurosurgeon.
- Radiolab – Another award-winning podcast that tells a variety of different stories and experiences.
- The Daily – A podcast that is hosted by American journalist Michael Barbaro and featuring some of the best journalists to tell amazing stories.
- Stuff You Should Know – Hosted by Josh Clark and Chuck Bryant, bring you stories about everything you should know.
- S-Town – Two popular podcasts come together to talk about a man called John who wants to change his life for the better.
- Planet Money – Brought to you by the producers of This American Life, discussing all-things economy.
- TED Talks Daily – They have produced over 2000 podcasts to date, discussing a variety of different important topics.
- POD Save America – The thing to listen to if you are interested in politics and other interesting subjects, hosted by Jon Favreau, Dan Pfeiffer, Jon Lovett, Tommy Vietor, and various guest speakers.
What Are the Top Downloaded Podcasts?
- The Joe Rogan Experience – A Spotify-exclusive podcast that American comedian Joe Rogan hosts.
- Sh**ged Married Annoyed – Hosted by Rosie and Chris Ramsey, where they talk about life, relationships, arguments, annoyances, parenting, growing up, and everything in between.
- Grounded With Louis Therox – Louis Therox uses the coronavirus lockdown to track down high-profile people from all walks of life to chat to on his show.
- Sorted With the Dyers – Honest and funny conversations between father and daughter Danny and Dani Dyer who talk about problems that listeners send in.
- Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster – A food and comedy podcast where guests are invited to select their dream menu.
- Times-News Briefing – Bringing you all of the world’s latest headlines from Britain’s most trusted newspaper an impressive three times a day.
- Deep Sleep Sounds – This is designed for both adults and children and provides you with the perfect sounds to help you relax.
- Rob Beckett and Josh Widdicombe’s Lockdown Parenting Hell – This is an honest parenting podcast that features funny stories about parenting and more.
- Talk Sport Hit – This podcast provides you with the biggest sports stories daily so that you can keep up with the latest.
- JaackMaate’s Happy Hour – A comedy podcast that posts every Monday and Thursday, often featuring well-known celebrities.
What is the #1 Podcast in the World?
The number one podcast in the world right now is The Daily, which provides you with twenty minutes of content five days a week. The Daily is hosted by Michael Barbaro and is brought to you by New York Times journalism. This podcast is full of interesting and engaging content on a variety of different topics, including features news, current events, and some of the world’s most important subjects.
The Daily is constantly uploading new content and is the most popular podcast that you will find. It is free to listen to as it is financed by advertising, and you can listen to them on a variety of platforms. If you are looking for a podcast that focuses on current events and real-world issues, then this is definitely the podcast for you to listen to.
What are the Best Free Podcasts?
A true-crime podcast that delves into the stories of “people who’ve done wrong, been wronged, and/or gotten caught somewhere in the middle.”
The Shrink Next Door
This podcast is brought to you by the creators of Dirty John and Dr. Death, and it tells the story of a therapist that wasn’t what he seemed.
Anna Lewis and Rhiannon Evans host this podcast, and they are two journalists that bring you the best real-life stories.
No Such Thing As A Fish
This podcast is brought to you by the writers of QI, and they discuss everything that they have learned in that week, with a wide variety of topics included.
Rukmini Callimachi, a New York Times reporter, interviews people that used to be part of Al Qaeda.
All The Way With…
If you are interested in other people’s sex lives, then this is the podcast for you. Cosmopolitan’s own Sex & Relationships Editor Paisley and Deputy Beauty Editor Laura are joined each week by special guests that share their intimate stories.