As an increasing amount of people begin to realize the importance of self-care, new and exciting relaxation techniques are starting to emerge.
Amongst the most popular of these is binaural beats. Considered sound therapy, the soothing music is said to help with insomnia, anxiety, mood, and even help improve focus.
However, one of the most exciting things about binaural beats is that they don’t exist within audio or music tracks!
Confusing, right? Allow us to explain further.
Often thought of as a ‘cousin to ASMR,’ binaural beats work by delivering two different sound frequencies – one to your left ear and one to your right.
Your brain then translates these two different frequencies into a third frequency interpreted as one overall track.
Imagine your left ear is fed a 200Hz frequency, while your right ear is listening to a 205Hz frequency. It’s this 5Hz of difference that your brain picks up as a third sound. And it’s this third sound that is the binaural beat.
Binaural beats are only effective when your listening through headphones, though. So, it’s essential to get a pair of headphones that are up to the job.
But how do you know which are the best to give you the full binaural beats experience?
We’re here to help make things a little clearer. Below, you’ll find a list of some of the very best headphones for binaural beats.
We’ve also put together a super useful buying guide designed to help make the decision-making process clear and straightforward.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 1. Mpow 059 Bluetooth Headphones
- 0.2 2. SoundPEATS TrueFree+ Wireless Earbuds
- 0.3 3. Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones
- 0.4 4. OneOdio Pro-10 Over-Ear Headphones
- 0.5 5. Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Studio Headphones
- 1 Buyer’s Guide
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
1. Mpow 059 Bluetooth Headphones
Amazing sound quality is the ultimate goal when you’re listening to binaural beats, and the 059 Bluetooth Headphones from Mpow are built to deliver some of the clearest tones you’ll ever hear.
Universally compatible with a range of devices, they contain 40mm neodymium drivers that work harmoniously with a CSR chip to provide outstanding clarity while allowing you to listen to your favorite tracks wirelessly.
Meanwhile, the closed-ear cushion provides passive noise cancellation and prevents the occurrence of any background noise interference.
These headphones are super comfortable too. The innovatively designed memory-protein ear cushions mimic human skin texture to give the most natural feeling possible.
The headband is also padded for comfort and is fully adjustable, allowing you to find the best fit for your head shape.
They are easy to charge with the included cable, and you’ll get up to 20 hours of playtime from a single charge.
You can rest assured that they’ll be safe when you’re not using them thanks to the included carry case, and the headphones fold down compactly for even easier storage.
- Contain 40mm neodymium drivers and a CSR chip to deliver outstanding sound and wireless performance
- Built-in controls allow you to skip, pause, and play tracks directly from the headphones
- Super comfortable with memory-ear cushions and an adjustable, padded headband
- The closed-ear design offers noise cancellation during use
- A single charge will give up to 20 hours of playtime
- Some people found that after a few months of frequent use, the battery wasn’t able to hold as much charge as it did originally
2. SoundPEATS TrueFree+ Wireless Earbuds
Wired headphones can be a little restrictive, preventing you from settling into a comfortable position.
These TrueFree+ Wireless Earbuds from SoundPEATS have got this issue solved, though. They are also easy to pair to your device when turned on, so there’s no need to fiddle with your Bluetooth settings each time you want to use them.
Each earbud features a user-friendly control that allows you to play, pause, and switch tracks without reaching for your device.
They also feature a built-in microphone that supports hands-free calling, adding to their overall versatility.
These earbuds also give you the option to switch between stereo and dual listening.
Which means you can choose to use both earbuds at once when you’re listening to binaural beats, or switch to just one when you’re listening to music and need to keep one ear free.
Available in either black or white to suit your personal preference, they come with a charging case that will give you up to 4 hours of use from a single charge.
This case also gives you the perfect place to keep your earbuds safe when they’re not in use.
- Easy to pair to your device and offer you a wireless connection to your binaural beats tracks
- User-friendly controls on each earbud allow you to control your tracks without needing to reach for your device
- A built-in microphone supports hands-free calling
- Can be switched from stereo to dual listening with ease
- Includes a charging case that will give the earbuds up to 4 hours of life from a single charge
- These earbuds don’t feature any waterproof or sweat-resistant features
3. Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones
As their name suggests, the MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphones from Sony feature large, 40mm drivers that deliver powerful, clear sound.
Matched with a closed-ear design that provides excellent noise cancellation, these headphones are ideal for listening to binaural beats.
Although they aren’t wireless, the connecting cable is a generous 9.8ft in length.
It gives you more than enough room to settle into a comfortable position without feeling restricted.
The gold plated connector tip also ensures a stable connection at all times, and there is an included ¼-inch adapter so you can easily switch between your smartphone and a HiFi system.
They have a frequency response of 10Hz to 20KHz, which will also expand your binaural beats options. They are comfortable to wear and have padded earcups and an adjustable padded headband that allows you to find the perfect fit.
You can fold these headphones for safe storage and easy transportation, and you have the option to purchase them with a carry case for extra safety.
Their 8oz weight also makes them lightweight enough to carry around without adding any extra weight to your bag and further enhances their comfort when wearing them.
- Feature large, 40mm drivers and a closed-ear design that delivers a super detailed sound and offers noise cancellation
- The 9.8ft cable reduces the restrictive feeling and allows you to settle into a comfortable position
- A gold-plated connector tip ensures a stable connection between your device and the headphones at all times
- Have a frequency response of 10Hz to 20KHz, making them ideal for listening to binaural beats
- Fold-flat for easy storage and transportation, and can be purchased with or without a carry case
- These headphones don’t feature any in-line or ear-located controls
4. OneOdio Pro-10 Over-Ear Headphones
With 50mm drivers, the Pro-10 Over-Ear Headphones from OneOdio are amongst the most powerful on our list for delivering highly detailed audio directly into your ears.
The detailed audio doesn’t only make them perfect for binaural beats but also gives you better sound quality and clear vocals when listening to music and podcasts.
The 9.8ft cable will effortlessly stretch from your chosen media device without dictating where you sit and relax, and you won’t feel restricted by them either.
They also include a 6.35mm plug and a 3.5mm plug that expands your listening opportunities between devices.
A padded and adjustable headband allows you to find the most comfortable fit for your own needs, while the padded earcups further enhance their comfort.
The design of the earpads reduce external background sound and promote in-ear noise isolation.
These headphones are universally compatible and will work with most Apple, Android, and other audio devices.
They also feature in-line controls that play and pause your tracks, as well as a microphone for answering incoming calls.
- Large, 50mm neodymium drivers produce incredibly precise, detailed sound
- The generous 9.8ft cable gives you better freedom of movement while in use
- Two differently sized connector plugs expand the devices you can use them with
- Super comfortable with an adjustable, padded headband and padded earcups that also reduce external noise pollution
- Universally compatible with most Apple, Android, and other audio devices
- Although you can use the in-line controls to play and pause, it cannot skip through tracks
5. Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Studio Headphones
The innovative circumaural design of the ATH-M20x Professional Studio Headphones from Audio-Technica doesn’t only give them a stylish appearance but also ensures that they are able to provide outstanding noise-cancelation.
These headphones feature 40mm neodymium drivers, which produce super clear, detailed sound whatever you’re listening to. They also have a frequency response of 15HZ – 20KHz, making them ideal for listening to various binaural beats tracks.
Their 9.8ft cable gives you more freedom to settle into a comfortable position and reduces any restrictive feeling.
There is also an included 6.3mm snap-on connector that allows you to use the headphones across a broader range of devices.
Padded earcups and a padded, adjustable headband make them super comfortable to wear for prolonged periods. The cable only runs into one of the earcups, too, reducing the chances of them tangling and adding to their comfort.
- The circumaural design gives these headphones a stylish appearance and adds to their noise-canceling properties
- Feature 40mm neodymium drivers to produce crystal-clear sound
- The frequency response of 15Hz – 20KHz makes them ideal for listening to binaural beats
- The 9.8ft cable reduces any restrictive feeling and gives you more freedom of movement
- Padded earcaps and an adjustable, padded headband ensure you’re comfortable when wearing them
- Some people found the padding on the earcups a little stiff at first. However, this soon went away after they had been worn-in
If you’re interested in venturing into the relaxing world of binaural beats, a pair of headphones is an essential piece of equipment. Not just any pair of headphones will do, though.
Below, we’ve outlined some of the key features you need to keep in mind when shopping for a pair of headphones to listen to binaural beats.
Giving some thought to each of these before making your final decision will help make sure you’re getting the best headphones possible.
Wired VS. Wireless
The first thing you need to decide is whether you want your headphones to be wireless or not. Both wired and wireless headphones come with benefits and downsides, and the choice you make will ultimately come down to personal preference.
Wireless headphones are the most popular choice for listening to binaural beats. This is because there is no cable to restrict your movement, so it’s much easier to settle into a comfortable position.
Connecting your wireless headphones to your device is usually achieved through Bluetooth technology.
The Bluetooth connection ensures that your chosen track feeds into your ears without interruption and, depending on the connectivity range, allows you to leave your device in another room. At the same time, you listen to your binaural beats.
They do need to be recharged, though. Recharging can be a downside as you’ll need to make sure there is enough juice in the wireless earbuds when you want to use them.
After all, there’s nothing more frustrating than wanting to relax with your headphones in place and finding out they’re completely dead.
Wired headphones typically give you less freedom of movement. However, there are some available that have extra-long cables to reduce the restrictive feeling associated with them.
Wired headphones are also more reliable for establishing a secure connection, and there’s no need to worry about your track skipping or jumping while you listen.
Some wired headphones also come with adapters that allow you to listen to binaural beats through various devices regardless of the connector port’s size.
Once you’ve established what type of headphones you’d like, it’s time to think about the sound quality.
Binaural beats, ASMR, and other forms of sound therapy require headphones that can pick up the tiniest detail and deliver it straight into your ears with crystal-clear clarity.
This is where your headphone’s drivers come into play. Typically, the larger the drivers, the more sound detail they’ll be able to pick up. For binaural beats, you would be best to choose a pair of headphones with drivers no less than 40mm in size.
As binaural beats work by delivering different frequencies into each ear, it’s also a good idea to look at the frequency response your headphones offer. As with drivers, the larger the range is here, the more detail you’ll be able to hear.
Some headphones have frequency responses starting at 10Hz and going all the way up to 20KHz.
Higher frequency won’t only give you better sound detail, but will also expand the variety of tracks you’ll be able to listen to.
Noise cancellation is another crucial thing to look for in headphones for binaural beats.
You need to concentrate solely on the sound being fed into your ears to get the full effect, and any external noise will ruin the experience.
The design of your headphones is the best thing to look at when researching noise cancellation.
Closed-ear headphones or in-ear earbuds are the best option to go for as they will have a seal around your ears and shut out any noise pollution.
Finally, it’s also essential to make sure your chosen headphones are as comfortable as possible. Being comfortable will help make settling into your binaural beats and relaxing a lot easier too.
Look for headphones that feature padded earcaps. These will prevent any plastic or metal from digging into your ears as you wear them, not only ensuring they are comfortable but also protecting your ears at the same time.
Adjustable, padded headbands are also a good thing to look out for. An adjustable headband will allow you to find the perfect fit for your head and prevent any tight or squeezing-feeling coming from your headphones while you’re wearing them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are binaural beats?
Binaural beats are a form of sound therapy. They work by feeding two different frequencies into each ear, which your brain then translates into one overall sound.
Binaural beats are becoming increasingly popular for aiding relaxing, relieving anxiety, and helping to improve focus.
What are the best headphones for binaural beats?
Excellent sound quality is the most important thing to look for in a pair of headphones for binaural beats.
Large drivers, noise-canceling properties, and a broad frequency range are all needed to help you immerse yourself in the binaural beats experience. Please take a look at our favorite headphones for binaural beats above.